j.fp.o design process strawman (criticism please!)

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Mon Jul 13 03:12:35 UTC 2009

Mike McGrath wrote:
> I've always found one of the biggest problems with joining is
> setting expectations, fedora is a HUGe place.  I think people get
> lost and don't know what we expect from them.  This is especially
> true of more passive volunteers that just want to be told what to
> do.  I've found they don't know what to do, don't enjoy being told
> what to do and generally don't have a good experience after joining.

Judging from my past experiences in other volunteer organizations,
this is a common problem.  I think this could be a niche filled by
mentors, if there are folks that know their way around the various
systems in Fedora and enjoy showing others the ropes.  Of course,
finding good mentors can be a challenge in itself.

FWIW, I think you do a pretty good job at this in the infrastructure
area Mike.  You have my respect for organizing the relatively large
and diverse group of folks who work on the many tasks that make the
Fedora Infrastructure successful.

Truth is like a well-known whore.  Everybody knows her but it's
embarrassing to meet her in the street.
    -- Wolfgang Borchert