fedorahosted.org main page changes

Jorge Gallegos kad at blegh.net
Thu Jul 23 15:40:55 UTC 2009

Hi Todd,

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 10:19 AM, Todd Zullinger <tmz at pobox.com> wrote:

> Hi Jorge,
>
> Jorge Gallegos wrote:
> > I am attaching the patch here, I couldn't fully test the patch with
> hosted
> > projects (since I'm already half asleep) but a list of svn,git and mtn
> > projects (pretty printed) is here
> http://kad.fedorapeople.org/projects.txt .
>
> This does expose a mildly odd difference between the title and
> description fields for trac versus non-trac projects (or maybe it's
> only trac versus git?):

Nope, is on all the different VCS: git, svn, hg, etc

>  'system-config-selinux': {'desc': 'Project system-config-selinux under
> git',
>                           'group': 'S',
>                           'title': 'system-config-selinux',
>                           'url': '
> http://git.fedoraproject.org/git/system-config-selinux.git'<http://git.fedoraproject.org/git/system-config-selinux.git%27>
> },
>  'system-config-services': {'desc': u'system-config-services',
>                            'group': 'S',
>                            'title': u'My example project',
>                            'url': '
> https://fedorahosted.org/system-config-services/',
>                            'vcs': 'git',
>                            'vcsbase': 'system-config-services.git',
>                            'vcsweburl': '
> https://fedorahosted.org/system-config-services/browser'<https://fedorahosted.org/system-config-services/browser%27>
> },
>
> I didn't look closely, but I'd noticed that trac projects get setup
> with 'My example project' as the title by default.  It might be handy
> if we could set that at creation time to be the project short
> description perhaps -- though I'm not sure where exactly that title
> field gets displayed.

That title gets added at creation time in the trac conf file, but only for
trac projects

> Another thing that might be worth doing is using the description file
> for git repos.  I have no idea if other SCM's have something similar.
> (If not, we can likely add a description file to them just as git
> uses.)

Other VCS don't have such a field. I was trying to maybe come up with
always have a description in the first lines, sometimes is empty, so is not
a standard file. So the best I came up with was "Project X under VCS Y".
Probably adding a description file on each project's root dir would be a
good idea, but I don't know atm if that would mess up anything on the VCS
side (or how much effort that would take, really).

> As an example, lorax.git has the description 'Install images creation
> tool'.  I think that is more descriptive than 'Project lorax under
> git'.  There are likely some git repos with a default description
> file, where we'd want to fallback to a more generic '%s project' or
> something -- or maybe just fix all of these projects with incomplete
> description files.

Well, lorax has a trac page, that means it reads the more complete
(theoretically speaking) description, but I understand your point.

> Anyway, enough rambling.  Thanks for working on this ticket Jorge.

No problems.

> --
> Todd        OpenPGP -> KeyID: 0xBEAF0CE3 | URL: www.pobox.com/~tmz/pgp<http://www.pobox.com/%7Etmz/pgp>

Jorge A Gallegos <kad at blegh.net>
http://kad.blegh.net
v4sw6+8BCGHJMPRUY$hw4/5ln6pr5/7FOPSck0ma7u7BFHLMOSw2DGTWXm4l7+8ADEFGKMRSUi2C$OBluefish/e5+6t4/5AXb7/9AHKLPTen6a20XIs7MRr8p-4.75/-2.26g4/6ACMRTZ
hackerkey.com