verify download for Windows

rich3 at wipbt.com rich3 at wipbt.com
Thu Apr 1 07:15:45 UTC 2010

Dear Webmaster,

Great site and great project, thank you so much!

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/readme-burning-isos/en_US/sn-validating-files.html

...regarding the verification of ISO downloads,  I noticed that the verify on the new versions are done SHA256 vs. SHA1 from when I tested my download files (actually found one bad download :)  worked great on the 2nd time)...

Anyway... I noticed the above page (and the hash files I downloaded from a couple mirrors) all show SHA1

also, XCSC and Sha1sum.exe would no longer work for those verifications.

I'm also suprised you don't have those checksums available on the website.  While download verification would allow getting the checksum from the mirror... I would think for security reasons, people would want to see the checksums from your site (so they can trust whatever mirror they use).  I can't imaging the extra bandwidth from that text would be a very big amount?   Just a thought...

Anyway, I hope this was helpful, ... again GREAT site and project!    I'm definately going to start looking at showing Fedora to more people.  I've always been fond of Linux, and Fedora really just shows the power of the system, for free!  How can it be better!

Sincerely,

Rich Valenta
Sheboygan, WI