Accessing old releases

Robert 'Bob' Jensen bob at fedoraunity.org
Sun Aug 15 15:35:56 UTC 2010

----- "Bob McKay" <rimsnucse at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi; there seems to be a structure problem in the fedora download
> website.
> .It's easy to get the current release - nicely designed (thanks)
> .It's hard, but not impossible, to find out-of-support releases of
> fedora (currently,
> 	this means up to F10). This requires following the links
> 		All Download Methods
> 		See old versions of Fedora
> 		archive
> 	from the main download page. I think this needs some fixing
> 	("See old versions of Fedora" should also be available from the
> 	"View more Fedora options" page), but it's not to bad.
> .There is no link _at all_ that I can find to the supported-but-not-
> current
> 	releases (i.e. Fedora 11 and 12 at the moment). This is bad, because
> 	it means that if someone can't run F13 for some reason, they are
> likely
> 	to revert to (unsupported) F10. The only way I could find to get F11
> 	(which I need to check some software back-compatibility) was to
> 	find the F13 download link, then reconstruct what the F11 link must
> 	be. Fortunately, the links are very systematic, and it worked. But
> this
> 	really isn't the way it should be...

It is as it should be in my opinion. Unsupported releases get no security fixes as such should be considered insecure, dangerous and ethically irresponsible to use. In fact I disagree with them being available online at all.

-- Bob

|       Robert 'Bob' Jensen        ||       Fedora Unity Founder       |
|       bob at fedoraunity.org        ||      http://fedoraunity.org/     |
|                   http://bjensen.fedorapeople.org/                   |
|                http://blogs.fedoraunity.org/bobjensen                |
|                   http://www.facebook.com/rpjensen                   |