Who is in charge here?

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Sat Aug 21 15:58:29 UTC 2010

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 08:02:02PM -0700, Cal Schuler wrote:
> I have worked my way through one of your servers and ended up at this site with a thousand links.  I am getting spam from someone using one of your servers.  It appears that it may be too complex for anyone to do anything about it, but I am attaching the email I received.
>
> Please try to put this person out of business!!
>
> Cal Schuler

Cal:

While I can't see what you are seeing, I have a guess as to why you
are contacting the webmaster at fedoraproject.org address.  Because our
software is freely available (no-cost and full-of-freedom), it might
be used by a spam or phishing website.  If they have set up a server
running Fedora, it might be displaying the "Fedora Test Page":

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Server_Test_Page

There is a screenshot on that page, looks like this:

http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/8/86/ServerTestPage_httpd_test_page.png

If that is what you have seen, I'm sorry to tell you there is nothing
we can do about it.  Your best best is to either contact your Internet
service provider (ISP) or the ISP of the offending website.  Your ISP
should have a spam fighting solution installed that you can use, and
you may want to use an email client such as Thunderbird that can learn
and protect against spam (to a limited degree.)  Contacting the ISP of
the membres.multimania.fr website is another good idea.  I did a check
on who owns that domain name, and this is the information that came up
-- they would be the people to contact about troublesome websites on
their network: