[Ambassadors] What do you think? (was Re: fedoracommunity.org portal design)

Gianluca Sforna giallu at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 15:34:11 UTC 2010

2010/8/27 Máirín Duffy <duffy at fedoraproject.org>:
> Thanks for this discussion :)

And thank you for picking it up :)

> On Fri, 2010-08-27 at 11:32 +0200, Gianluca Sforna wrote:
>> Fedora (redesigned)
>> 1. go to fedoraproject.org
>> 2. click on "Community"  I guess this will link to fedoracommunity.org)
>
> It will, but not directly. There will probably be a banner ad or
> something like that on the www.fpo/community page to drive traffic to
> fedoracommunity.org.

OK. then it's one more click to find regional resources

>> 3. Select the region
>> 4. find Italy, only one website listed
>
> Are there more Italian websites we should be linking to? I used the
> following wiki page to populate the site:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/International
>
> I tested every website on that page. You'll note two of the four
> websites there are not functional as clearly noted.

Yeah I noted that work and I wondered if it was you... Then please
take into account the additional data (not just for Italy) from:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicating_and_getting_help#Regional_Resources

we have several regional specific IRC channels and mailing lists.

I'm not sure if there are more, if you think this is useful I can
check IRC channel listing and mailman pages to see if there are more.

> Since I went through
> that wiki page it looks like this site has been added, should I added it
> to Fedoracommunity.org?
>
> http://www.adamantio.net/modules.php?name=News&file=topics&topic=47

Content does not look very current there, for now I'd leave it out.

> I've already posted a couple of calls for help on the ambassadors list -
> for folks to go over the site and let us know if we were missing
> anything - and of course we are still open to more suggestions!!

Yeah, sorry for lurking for so long... In return for your kindness,
I'll volunteer to help building the regional wiki pages hierarchy in
case we agree that's an useful thing to have.

>> 5. figure you need to click on the EMEA link (goes to wiki)
>> 6. find Italy and follow the links to site, mailing list, wiki, forum, etc.
>
> I don't understand your steps 5 & 6 above. There are general region-wide
> resources at the top of the EMEA page.

Point 5 refers to clicking on the general, region wide link Sijis
suggested as well.
Point 6 assumes we already added to that landing wiki page the data
related to each regional team.

> As far as I know there is NO
> mailing list / wiki / forum for Italy. If there is, can you please let
> me know? I'll be more than happy to add them.

In the page linked above we have references to IRC and mailing list.

The team had a lengthy discussion about building a wiki and a forum
(we have secured fedoraproject.it). About the first one I'm pushing to
keep using fpo one, for the second the fedoraonline guys are already
doing a good job, but I'm interested in attempting to build the
mailing list -> forum like interface based on drupal you blogged about
some time ago in a effort to bridge the more experienced audience with
new users.

Since nothing of this is online, I think we can just talk about it later.

Thank you very much for your great work

G.

--
Gianluca Sforna