www.fpo Redesign Mockup Thread

Jef van Schendel jefvanschendel at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 21:05:31 UTC 2010

So, Máirín posted the latest mockups for the www.fpo website on her
blog [1], together with some additional header mockups [2]. I posted
the one mockup I had in the comments [3].

Of course we need a place to discuss them and let everyone post their
own mockups, ideas, wishes and complaints, which is what I wanted to
make this thread for. Hope we can start some good discussion here. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As for my own feedback...

* The slideshow grey

I think the mockups are a little too much on the grey side. Where's
our awesome Fedora Blue?

http://schendje.fedorapeople.org/fpo/fpoBlue.png
http://schendje.fedorapeople.org/fpo/fpoBlue.svg

In this mockup I've tried out some different backgrounds. Having the
F13 wallpaper as a background is a little crowded though, and of
course we'd have to change it with every release.

* The slideshow buttons

IMO they're a bit too... bulky? I think we only need either the
buttons or the arrows, both is a bit overkill. I've made the buttons a
bit simpler. By highlighting the current one, visitors can see which
one they're currently viewing. The other 3 of course provide a way to
move to the other slides.

http://schendje.fedorapeople.org/fpo/fpoSlides.png
http://schendje.fedorapeople.org/fpo/fpoSlides.svg

* Screenshot

Having a screenshot is always good, but screenshots of OS's aren't
exactly the most exciting pieces of art. Can we make it a little
prettier? Here is something like what I've got in mind...

http://schendje.fedorapeople.org/fpo/fpoScreenshot.png
http://schendje.fedorapeople.org/fpo/fpoScreenshot.svg

A simple gradient or reflection (or even a light glow? way too cheesy
imo) can add a lot to the presentation. Also, I think we need all
those windows in the screenshot to show what you can do with Fedora,
right? Personally I think the "empty" screenshot looks better, but I'm
biased since I'm in love with F13's wallpaper. I understand if
Marketing wants to have more windows open in the shot. :)

* The grey gradient all the way at the top

I'm just wondering why it's there. Could you shed some light on this, Máirín? :)

Aaaanyways, these are just little things I wanted to point out right
away. I'll have a closer look at the layout and other stuff when I
have time this week.

Hope this provides something useful! By all means, discuss these to shreds! :)

Jef

[1] http://mairin.wordpress.com/2010/07/29/fedoraproject-org-front-page-redesign-mockup-1/
[2] http://mairin.wordpress.com/2010/07/29/some-www-fpo-header-mockups/
[3] http://mairin.wordpress.com/2010/07/29/fedoraproject-org-front-page-redesign-mockup-1/#comment-6464