Milestones for next phase of web redesign (main page)

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue May 11 16:49:01 UTC 2010

Our web redesign project has continued to move forward in a phased
approach.  Before Fedora 12 release, the spins.fp.o pages were also
completely redesigned and implemented to provide spin owners a better
way to market and promote their spins.  Now, before Fedora 13 release,
we're well on our way to completing the last bits of the get.fp.o
pages that were redesigned, providing a clearer way for people to
download the default image.

The next phase of the current redesign process is to revamp the front
page (the main fedoraproject.org page) to be more informative and
welcoming for a wider audience.  In the Board's public meeting last
Thursday we had a conversation with the Websites team and one of the
actions I took on was to start talking with the Websites and Design
team about setting milestones for this redesign.  I would hope to
complete this phase well in advance of the Alpha release of Fedora 14,
which would help us avoid crunching up too much workload into the last
phase of our release cycle, and allow everyone to concentrate on other
pieces of the release.

I want to invite members of the Design and Websites team who want to
work on this next phase to, first, look at the work that Mo Duffy has
already done for mockups, and second, think about the tasks we need to
complete to make those mockups into reality.

* Are there any widgets or supporting scripts that need to be
  completed first?

* Who can we get to create the photos and other collateral to populate
  the front page?

* Any tweaks we want to make to the design to address open issues?

Then we can set some dates for completion and make this part of a
regular meeting agenda.  I think it makes sense to coordinate this
work on the websites@ list, so I'm setting that reply-to.  Anyone
interested in helping with further refinements, and HTML, CSS, and
JavaScript work, can sign up for the websites list here:

I'd like to arrive at a schedule by the first Websites meeting *after*
F13 GA, which is approximately 10 days from now if I remember the
meeting schedule correctly.