Browser compatibility testing (in this case, for Spins pages)

Ricky Zhou ricky at fedoraproject.org
Sat May 29 00:58:48 UTC 2010

On 2010-05-28 08:57:57 AM, Mel Chua wrote:
> How do we do browser compatibility testing for Fedora webpages? I
> couldn't find notes for this on the wiki, but I may just be missing
> something.
>
> The question that prompted this (from Sean Daly of the Sugar Labs
> project, copied):
>
>  > [http://spins.fedoraproject.org/soas/] is not
>  > showing any text on my old Mac
>  > running a very old version of Safari (v1.3.2). Displays OK in Firefox
>  > though. I don't suppose there is a plain-html version available, or a
>  > way to warn users their browser is bad?
There's no policy or good test matrix (or even minimum set of
requirements) for this right now, and I was just griping about some CSS
bugs that made it through testing yesterday.

This is definitely something we need to develop a solid set of
guidelines.

For Sean's problem, I think it might be that the javascript framework we
use isn't supported on Safari (and here's the first item on a potential
"hard requirements" list already - all javascript must degrade
gracefully when not supported).  We noticed that some of the javascript
did not have good fallbacks for spins.fp.o, and we've already developed
the fixes to ensure that very similar code works properly on fp.o.  I
think this should just be a matter of making those same fixes on
spins.fp.o.

Thanks, and thanks to Sean for the repor,
Ricky