HTTP mirroring of Fedora images

Ricky Zhou ricky at fedoraproject.org
Sat May 29 01:07:43 UTC 2010

On 2010-05-27 08:43:41 PM, Mikael Lyngvig wrote:
> I just want to let you know that an increasing number of your users cannot
> download Fedora images via FTP.  For instance, I am in a public Danish office
> where I cannot download via FTP due to a very strict firewall that only allows
> HTTP transfers.
>
> When I visit your "mirrors" page, I can see lots of servers that SUPPOSEDLY
> mirror the Fedora 13 images via HTTP, but whenever I try to download Fedora
> using one of these mirrors, I get a redirect to an FTP location.
>
> Please consider to use the HTTP protocol rather than the FTP protocol as the
> FTP protocol is a crap protocol that requires two connections, etc., instead of
> the vastly more elegant HTTP protocol.
The reason that some mirrors have these redirects is that old web
servers do not support larges files such as our DVDs.  Unfortunately,
there's currently no way for our mirror redirector to tell which mirrors
have those old servers and redirects.

If those redirects are failing for you, I'd suggest going through the
mirror list at http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/publiclist/Fedora/13/
manually and choosing a mirror that doesn't have them.

Thanks,
Ricky