Websites Tasks - assistance

Ian MacGregor ardchoille42 at gmail.com
Sat May 29 06:25:39 UTC 2010

Hi all,
 I am currently working through the Websites Tasks list located here:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Websites/Tasks

It would help me a great deal if everyone would visit this page and see
if you have any tasks which need to be handled. Yesterday, nb, mchua and
I were able to complete a few of these tasks and I thank them for their
help.

My goal is to clear this list of current tasks and I'm willing to work
on it as long as it takes in order to have all current tasks completed.

nb and mchua gave me some information in #fedora-websites regarding the
'CMS solution for Fedora Project websites' item:

===  IRC snip  ===
[20:34:52] * mchua sees "CMS solution for Fedora Project websites" and
goes "oh man, that's a... yeah, that's an epic story there"
[20:34:59] <mchua> ardchoille: how deep down the rabbit hole do you want
to get? ;)
[20:35:38] <ardchoille> mchua: I'm hoping to clear that entire list. I
know it will take some time, but I;ve nothing else to do and I bet many
of those are no longer needed
[20:35:55] <mchua> ardchoille: so, depending on your interests/time...
one thing we could use a lot of help with (it's been struggling for a
while) is the "CMS solution for Fedora Project websites" item
[20:36:36] <mchua> ardchoille: ...which links to a somewhat outdated
webpage, which is on hold because some other teams are evaluating a CMS
platform called zikula
[20:36:51] <mchua> and the plan was for websites to see how that went
and then if it worked for Docs, Marketing, and News, to just adopt that
too
[20:37:01] <mchua> but months later, the status is "wow, zikula is hard"
[20:37:08] <ardchoille> ah, ok
[20:37:11] <mchua> the thing we were trying to make work:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Insight
[20:38:09] <mchua> and the issue is that it's taken months to try and
get the last 10% of the features in - zikula upstream has great people,
but they're tight on time to help
[20:38:36] <ardchoille> Ok, I'll get with Karsten and see what the
status is and if there's anything I can do to help
[20:38:59] <mchua> and the folks on the Fedora side don't have the
zikula knowledge, nor the time to acquire it given the state of "learn
zikula!" resources (very few) out there
[20:39:05] <nb> last thing i saw was they were waiting on packaging?
[20:39:07] <nb> i think?
[20:39:10] <nb> or is that all done now?
[20:39:29] <ardchoille> mchua: Do you think it would be a bad idea to
ask the ml if everyone would take a look at Websites/Tasks and see if
they have a task that needs to be changed?
[20:39:46] <mchua> ardchoille: I think that would be a *very* good thing
to do, re: Websites/Tasks
[20:39:53] <ardchoille> yeah, ok, will do
[20:39:56] <mchua> ardchoille: and for the CMS - I think there are two
things to look at in parallel
[20:40:09] <mchua> ardchoille: the first is "does websites still want to
examine a CMS solution?" which I think is worth asking Karsten and the
list
[20:40:39] <mchua> (and if the answer is yes, "do we want to look at
options other than zikula for it?")
[20:41:12] <mchua> ardchoille: the second is to look at the zikula
progress, which is what we said we were going to check out (but it's
been months, and things have changed since, so questioning that decision
again is good)
[20:41:16] <ardchoille> yeah, if zikula is taking too much time, perhaps
there is something else we can use because we'll still need to maintain
it
[20:41:23] <mchua> ardchoille: exactly.
[20:41:38] <mchua> and the second is checking in on the status of zikula
- the latest meeting notes are at
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/logistics/2010-May/000548.html
[20:42:05] <mchua> (from
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/logistics/, since
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Insight#Project_status points to the
logistics list as the mailing list for the project
[20:42:10] <mchua> which is in fact the case)
[20:42:40] <mchua> ardchoille: this is very helpful, thank you! you're
not only being super-helpful with tasks, you're pointing out to us how
much better the "getting started with websites" path needs to be :)
===  IRC snip  ===

I'm actually having fun being a contributor and look forward to working
with you wonderful folks to help make the Websites group the best it can
be :)
--
Regards,
Rev. Dr. Ian MacGregor