Change "Contributors" to "Wiki"?

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Mon Nov 1 02:41:33 UTC 2010

Hi Rahul,

On Sun, 2010-10-31 at 13:57 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> I see that fedoraproject.org design is getting a large amount of
> feedback but I saw a few people suggesting $subject and perhaps it has
> not been captured here.  What do you think of that?  Wiki is popular
> and people recognize the word just fine IMO.

I chose the name for the navbar purposefully and I'll tell you the
rationale behind it.

'Wiki' is a technology. The wiki is primarily for contributors. The
wiki's unfriendliness to folks not familiar with Fedora is why we have a
website in the first place, rather than just a wiki.

That being said, I do think having a wiki.fedoraproject.org subdomain to
point to the wiki would make it easier for folks to reach, because then
you'd just type wiki in your url bar and it should autocomplete (if
you're as much a fedora wiki user as I am anyway ;-) )

But the wiki is very much a place for contributors, and the website is
very much a place for users, so I think it makes more sense to label it
based on its practical purpose / meaning rather than the technology used
to drive it.

~m