new look

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Mon Nov 1 20:12:59 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-11-01 at 08:37 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> > It might be nice to have a pause button though. Do you think that would
> > improve it for you?
>
> Probably wouldn't hurt, but I usually get annoyed by slideshows
> before I notice if there is a pause button or not. More of a personal
> preference for static pages I guess, lots of people seem to like
> them though, certainly I find them on lots of web sites.

Okay we will look into it.

> > > In page 1 of the content, I think it is reaching a bit to
> > > describe fedora with the word "stable". I wouldn't consider
> > > any release with a 6 month release cycle as "stable", and
> > > googling in the fedora user's list could probably find thousands
> > > of messages with people jumping on users running fedora as
> > > a server telling them they should use centos or rhel if
> > > they want a stable release for a server.
> >
> > But we don't state anywhere that it's meant for a server. It's really
> > not.
>
> Server use was really just an example. There are messages like this:
>
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2008-February/022721.html
>
> from time to time all through the fedora user's archives. I just
> found that example in about 10 seconds of searching. The concept
> of "stable" is constantly ridiculed in the user list when someone
> has the audacity to complain about things changing, so it just
> seemed a weird word to find in the fedoraproject front page.
> I think the word "stable" would be better off replaced with
> something like "cutting edge" in that first slide.

I really don't like the phrase "Cutting edge." That means it's going to
hurt you. I've been using Fedora since 2004 and it really hasn't ever
hurt me. "Leading edge" is probably a better phrase, but TBH I do think
Fedora is perfectly stable. This is probably a discussion best conducted
on the advisory-board list than here.

~m