new look

Kévin Raymond shaiton at
Mon Nov 1 22:06:22 UTC 2010

2010/11/1 Máirín Duffy <duffy at>:
>> from time to time all through the fedora user's archives. I just
>> found that example in about 10 seconds of searching. The concept
>> of "stable" is constantly ridiculed in the user list when someone
>> has the audacity to complain about things changing, so it just
>> seemed a weird word to find in the fedoraproject front page.
>> I think the word "stable" would be better off replaced with
>> something like "cutting edge" in that first slide.
> I really don't like the phrase "Cutting edge." That means it's going to
> hurt you. I've been using Fedora since 2004 and it really hasn't ever
> hurt me. "Leading edge" is probably a better phrase, but TBH I do think
> Fedora is perfectly stable. This is probably a discussion best conducted
> on the advisory-board list than here.
> ~m

I think there are two meaning for "stable".
 * Stable is a system that could run for many weeks without having to
restart, an efficient working system. (I used to install Fedora on my
servers, that's stable! But Ok,  I have to reinstall them each 13
 * Stable is also a distribution where you don't have update everyday.
Where you could use same libraries for many years.

Fedora is for sure Stable, we don't hesitate to move the deadline for
blocker bugs. But Fedora is a moving forward OS, therefore we have
many updates which can be annoying for people who don't care about it.
For example, CentOS, Red Hat and Debian are fully stable in both ways.

Kévin Raymond (shaiton)