Change "Contributors" to "Wiki"?

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue Nov 2 00:10:38 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 01, 2010 at 04:18:35PM -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-11-01 at 11:41 -0700, Karsten Wade wrote:
> > What if "Contributors" went to a specific page on the wiki, such as
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Join , and a "Wiki" link went to the
> > wiki front page?
>
> I'm really sorry, but I'm not comfortable with this suggestion at all.
> As pointed out earlier, a link that says "Wiki" is like a link that says
> "Drupal" to take me to x website or a link that says "IRC" to take me to
> a chat or "Ford Festiva" to take me to Salisbury Beach. I'd rather the
> destination/purpose, not the method, be the label.

Right, that's fine; like Ian, I was mainly pointing out that the
wiki[1] is (at least) dual-purpose, so putting a link to it's
front-page might come from two different purposes.

What is the front page of the wiki as a destination?

Considering what is now on the real front page, the top bits of the
wiki front page looks repetitive.  Perhaps it should be trimmed to the
two identified purposes and make the gateways clear: end-user
tutorials[2] and pages for contributors-by-contributors.  The latter
would be where to link "Contributors" from the fp.o front page.

Then we link to those two gateway pages instead of the front page of
the wiki.  Otherwise, the _only_ reason I can see to link to /wiki
directly is to say, "Here is our wiki, loveable mess that it is."
(Read below for my argument that a wiki is not just a technology.)

- Karsten

[1] Somewhat OT: On your point about "wiki == a technology", I think
it is more than just a technology brand/type (as Drupal is a
brand/type of CMS.)  It also means a certain type of highly successful
open community documentation and collaboration.

A wiki is a kind of content management solution that works in a
certain way that is different from all other types of CMS as to be a
category of it's own.  People _do_ come looking to "contribute to the
wiki": as a generic noun.  The technology has surpassed being just a
type of IT solution.

[2] For example, it might be useful to (clean-up and) link to
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Documentation as a
documentation help source.