Change "Contributors" to "Wiki"?

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue Nov 2 00:18:13 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 01, 2010 at 04:37:00PM -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 01, 2010 at 06:05:42PM -0500, Sijis Aviles wrote:
> >

> > Karsten,
> >
> > I think you are right on track with what is going on here. There just isn't a
> > way to define all the things the wiki represent in a single word. I do agree
> > with M ir n that using the word wiki is not insightful, as it is just a
> > technology.
> >
> > Now, to stir things up....
> > I do like the word Contributors vs Wiki and i do think there isn't a way to
> > describe Wiki in 1 word... however, i was poking around and seeing what 'word'
> > would best describe what the wiki is and i found the word: participants. I
> > thought the definition of it was sorta interesting based on what has been
> > discussed.
> >
> I think it's more along the lines of "Community contributed documentation".

As it happens, that is exactly what the word "wiki" means to many
people.  It is both a methodology and an instance of the technology
behind the method.

The reason we have two broad categories of content on the wiki is we
have two broad activities going on: work to make the distro come out
every six months, and work to help our community use the distro to
best effect.  So, "the wiki" is the documentation our community
contributes to.

Anyway, at the moment, having "Contributors" go to the main page of
the wiki is pretty unbroken.  What is broken is that once there, it is
confusing what to do with that page.  Perhaps with a realignment so
that page does this:

1. Points to fp.o to answer all the "what is Fedora" questions;
2. Points to a user-help gateway page + links to common help topics;
3. Points to a contributor-help gateway page + displays sub-projects;
4. Points to [[Join]] w/ some "why care" language;
5. I guess the "Links of interest" is OK & helpful?

- Karsten