new look

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 12:37:37 UTC 2010

On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 22:44:13 -0400
Máirín Duffy wrote:

> On Sun, 2010-10-31 at 09:08 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> > A lot of people like the timed swapping of content such as you
> > have in the top half of the page, but I have to say I always
> > find it irritating. The timer never has any idea if I'm half
> > way through looking at something when it swaps it out :-).
>
> One thing you might discover is that the slideshow pauses if your mouse
> is anywhere within its boundaries.
>
> It might be nice to have a pause button though. Do you think that would
> improve it for you?

Probably wouldn't hurt, but I usually get annoyed by slideshows
before I notice if there is a pause button or not. More of a personal
preference for static pages I guess, lots of people seem to like
them though, certainly I find them on lots of web sites.

> > In page 1 of the content, I think it is reaching a bit to
> > describe fedora with the word "stable". I wouldn't consider
> > any release with a 6 month release cycle as "stable", and
> > googling in the fedora user's list could probably find thousands
> > of messages with people jumping on users running fedora as
> > a server telling them they should use centos or rhel if
> > they want a stable release for a server.
>
> But we don't state anywhere that it's meant for a server. It's really
> not.

Server use was really just an example. There are messages like this:

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2008-February/022721.html

from time to time all through the fedora user's archives. I just
found that example in about 10 seconds of searching. The concept
of "stable" is constantly ridiculed in the user list when someone
has the audacity to complain about things changing, so it just
seemed a weird word to find in the fedoraproject front page.
I think the word "stable" would be better off replaced with
something like "cutting edge" in that first slide.