wiki authentification "failure": wrong encoding character in page name

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Sun Nov 7 03:13:43 UTC 2010

On Sat, Nov 06, 2010 at 10:32:52AM +0100, Kévin Raymond wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Since few weeks (month?) there is some pages where it is hard to log
> in. It is the one with accent in the page name.
> Try to log in[1], [2] or [3].
>  * If you're already logged in the wiki, you'll appear to be not logged in.
>  * When providing your credentials to be logged in, the redirection won't work.
>
> It should be because of the character encoding. Any idea?
>
> [1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/R%C3%A9unions_hebdomadaires_de_la_French_team
> [2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Rencontres_Fedora_14_%C3%A0_Universciences
> [3] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Liste_du_mat%C3%A9riel_%C3%A0_pr%C3%A9voir_pour_un_stand

I see that you have HTTP for [1] and [2] but HTTPS for [3].

For our wiki, when you have HTTP, you are not logged in; you can only
be logged in over an HTTPS connection.  (HTTP is aggressively cached,
HTTPS is never cached; session cookies are only over SSL so the
session can't be hijacked; some other reasons I forget. :) )

So, I clicked on [2] and am able to retrieve the page and be logged
in.

With [1] and [3] I am able to change the 'http' to 'https' and
retrieve the page and be logged in.

I also tried logging out of [3], then logging back in, and that
worked.

So, it's still possible that you are having a character encoding
issue, perhaps specific to a browser and a page.  But first I
recommend you rule out the HTTP/HTTPS confusion.

- Karsten