syncStatic script update proposal

Kévin Raymond shaiton at fedoraproject.org
Fri Oct 14 10:12:30 UTC 2011

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 5:37 AM, Sijis Aviles <sijis at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
[snip]

>> A push from the script?
>>

> I think Kevin R. is referring to a job that pull from tx regularly and
> pushes it to the fedora-web.git repo. The idea is that the hourly website
> build job wouldn't have to pull *all* the data from tx just the changed ones
> from the other [tx pull commit to fedora-web.git] job. This would hopefully
> make the build times faster.

You could call me 'shaiton', we all know who is the real Kevin here :)
(and writting the accent in Kévin is a pain most kb layout)

>> ...snip...
>>
>> > Please, note that I have really no idea if pushing from there is
>> > allowed, even if this is working. It is not the aim of a production
>> > server… Should we add a cron somewhere?
>> > Do you see the advantage of this?
>>
>> I don't think there's any permissions there to push. It's running as
>> the apache user, and I don't think it's a good idea to set it up to
>> commit. If someone broke into that account they could push bad changes
>> back to the repo. This seems like not a good idea.

I knew it, but wanted to hear that, in order to introduce the cron
job… See bellow

[snip]

>> Perhaps some kind of daily job somewhere else...
>> or perhaps someone could just do it every week or more regularly.
>>
>> I'd be happy to do it if I knew the exact SOP/process to do so.
>>
>> kevin

A daily cron would be perfect.
Is there a good place for this?

Yes, we could do it manually, but what is going to happen when you'll
be too busy for this little push?
Or if you just decide to move to the design team and forget about
everything else? (joking).
Yesterday I've updated the POT from the spins.fpo website… Last time
was probably in May. 80 strings added. I am really concerned about
that, I was the one who added genshi markup for those strings. Why
didn't I push the new POT for 5 months? I have really no idea, I was
probably waiting for a special reason.
This is really something that we can script and there are no good
reasons to do it manually.
Security related, there should some git (ssh?) config that limit user
permissions. In that case we could limit this cron to push only po and
pot files.

The best is too have a cron somewhere, documented in the SOP wiki page[1].
Several things to consider:
- pulling translations daily and then push them. Having the
possibility to do it hourly in release time would be perfect for
translators. Therefore we would have to remove "make pullpos" from
syncStatic.
- building the POT file daily (or weekly would be enough, but I am not
sure that we want 3 cron jobs on the wild) and pushing it. Only from
the master branch, as we would be able to make some changes without
breaking translations.
- Why not generating the LINGUAS file by this time? That could be done
using a script like this one[2]. This is probably a bad idea as this
will miss the infra part (which is forgotten to me… Sijis, what is
needed when we add a language code? There are some new in spin.fpo).
We still have to do that frequently for all websites.

I think that I wrote all scripts for that yesterday… Now we need to
decide whether we do it manually and keep in mind that human are not
100% reliable, or whether we run this (and where). Kevin, nice you
came here, this is also concerning infra of course.

> Kevin F. I hope this clears a couple of things up.
>
> Sijis

[1] fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Websites_Release_SOP
[2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Websites_Release_SOP#Update_LINGUAS_and_languages.conf_file

--
Kévin Raymond
User:shaiton