cannot download Fedora spins due to resolver issues

Sjoerd Mullender sjoerd at acm.org
Fri Sep 9 20:42:20 UTC 2011

On 2011-09-08 23:22, Kévin Raymond wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 10:06 PM, Sjoerd Mullender <sjoerd at acm.org> wrote:
>> I'm not sure this is the right place to report this, but here goes.
>>
>> When I try to download any of the LXDE or XFCE spins of Fedora 15, from
>> http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora-options, the URI points to
>> http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/spins/linux/releases/15/Spins/...
>>  All these get redirected (for me, anyway) to
>> http://archive.nl.eu.kernel.org/fedora-alt/spins/linux/releases/15/Spins/...
>>  However, archive.nl.eu.kernel.org is currently not resolvable.  After a
>> 1 minute timeout the "host" program tells me:
>> ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
>>
>> It is not easy to find an alternative direct download link.
>>
>> --
>> Sjoerd Mullender
>
> Hi,
>
> In case of the mirror you get is unreachable, you can choose one there:
> http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/publiclist/Fedora/15/

I know that page, but thanks anyway.  However, you can't find spins
there, or at least, they are not indicated.

> Here is one mirror which has all spins:
> http://ftp.byfly.by/pub/fedoraproject.org/alt/spins/linux/releases/15/Spins/

Thanks, that helps.

The point of my message was two-fold.

A server that fedoraproject.org points to doesn't work.  Perhaps you can
do something about it?  (Wake up the responsible person, or make the
website point somewhere else?)

It is hard to find an alternative for downloading a spin (if you can't
or don't want to use a torrent).  It's easy to find mirrors (the page
you referred to), but that page doesn't indicate whether the mirror has
spins available.

--
Sjoerd Mullender