FUDCon Website

tuxdna tuxdna at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 05:24:59 UTC 2011

On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 11:25 PM, Vaidik Kapoor <kapoor.vaidik at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for all the links. Now I have an idea about what you want to do.
> Though I am not much educated about how do things work in the Fedora
> community, there are a couple of things I had in my mind with which I think
> you also seem to agree. I had replied to Shreyank's mail earlier. However, I
> sent it as a personal reply, which wasn't sent to you. So I am going to
> forward it to you so that you get to know as to what I had in my mind.

I received your email now. Thanks.

> As I read the threads, I noticed that you and other community members have
> big plans of having everything related to other events logged in place,
> which is good and that's how even I think it should be. But, I really think
> that FUDCon is really close. Our main focus should be FUDCon Pune first and
> then after the event, we can go ahead and take initiatives for putting
> everything in one place. In fact, the website should be up real soon is what
> I think and with COD, we just have to focus on the theming bit.

I agree that we need to put up a website for FUDCon Pune as a priority.

> Let me know about what you think about this so that work can be put on fast
> pace.

For the points you mentioned in another email:

> IMO, these are the things that we need to work on immediately:
>  1. User registration and login
>    Is it going to be new registration for every user? Shouldn't we be using FAS as it makes more sense?

FAS should be perferred, however not all attendees would have a FAS
account. Maybe we can use OpenID.

> 2. Website theme
>  i.e. the design/front-end.

I don't really know about Drupal theming. So I can't say how to do it
properly. However, I think we can split up the work into two parts:
 * making the website functional
 * creating a Drupal theme

This way we can do them in parallel.

> 3. Hosting for website deployment
>  If we are going to work together (which I think we are), we need to have a centralised space where we can work. Let this be the hosting instance as moving a Drupal instance from one instance to another could be a pain in case of COD.

Agreed and here is what we need:
 * a place where hosting space where we can collaboratively tweak and
    test the COD installation
 * fixup meeting timings for discussions

Let us meet on IRC in the evening today on #fedora-websites at 6:00PM  ?

Added to CC: Rahul Sundaram, Harvish Sekar, and websites mailing list.

/tuxdna