search engine on start.fpo

Richard E. van der Luit nippur at fedoraproject.org
Wed Apr 25 14:22:51 UTC 2012

> This is an old thread, we have not decided anything because:
> - Alternatives are not 100% Open Source
> - Users like the Google results.

Google nowadays is so not linux, i can't believe this is even
considered. What is 'free' about Google in the sense of our community
(sinds people are paying heavily for 'free' service with big chunks of
their sellable privacy, even 'not for money' isn't true), how valid is
the argument "Users like the Google results."? O-m-g.

> I haven't checked about seeks update, but nowadays we could use
> https://startpage.com/ which is search engine based on Google (it just
> forward queries), but protecting our privacy. It uses Bing for
> pictures and blinkx.com for movies.

> http://duckduckgo.com/ Is by far the most interesting search engine,
> and using the bang! syntax (!sp) we could ask DDG to give us startpage
> results (i.e. Google!).

++1

> We are a leading edge community,
> we are not simple users,
> we should change start.fpo, and see with our browsers maintainer if
> they want to switch.
>
> Of course, this is only my voice, what about you?

really,

Richard