about site styling in re usability

Ryan rlerch at redhat.com
Wed Dec 5 16:39:28 UTC 2012

On Wed 05 Dec 2012 12:44:43 AM EST, Felix Miata wrote:
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/
> 1-JS required. Why? Documentation is boring text, more necessary than
> wanted. A static Table of Contents is offered as substitute for JS
> behavior, but has no clickable links to any actual documentation.
> Obviously JS can enhance, but to serve up no useful information
> without it?
>
> 2-Boldly states "welcome", yet creates unwelcome feeling via
> preponderance of
> mousetype[1], as demonstrated by:
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/attachment.cgi?id=657934
> It makes me unhappy and want hit the back button, not welcome, and not
> wanting to face the dig for the instruction I need. I'm hardly alone
> on this
> issue.[2]
>
> http://boot.fedoraproject.org/faq
> Personality altered from docs via use of gray text of similar size to
> further
> reduce legibility.
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/attachment.cgi?id=657935
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAQ
> The difference here is the even less legible list of tiny pale blue links
> overwhelming the viewport, even smaller text in the main subject area
> than
> the navigation wrap.
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/attachment.cgi?id=657936
>
> Is there a compelling reason Fedora can't be a leader in web site
> friendliness as well as distro compilation? Am I the only one involved
> in the project who thinks following the lead of most of the rest of
> the web is rude[3]?
>
> [1] http://hermeticpress.blogspot.com/2009/04/mouse-type.html
> [2] http://www.useit.com/alertbox/designmistakes.html
> [3] http://fm.no-ip.com/Auth/rudeweb.html

So to sum it up, the default font sizes of some of the fedora websites
is too small, and some are too lightly coloured?

Would it also be possible to get the bugs that those attached
screenshots are from? Additionally, those screenshots are quite busy,
and i find it very hard to parse the information on them. Is what you
are running there basically a tool that assesses the font sizes of
websites?

Finally, the best way to help out with making the fedora websites
better is to help out the websites team! The follwoing link gives you
all the details on how to join and help out!

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Websites

cheers,
ryanlerch