about site styling in re usability

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Fri Dec 7 01:51:39 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-12-06 at 14:07 -0700, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> No you don't.. . All you needed to do was the following:
>
> 1) Post an email asking people about the status of your ticket.
> 2) Point out that the easy fix for this was to change the font-size
> from 70% to 100% but you don't know how that will affect other parts
> on things you don't have like large monitors or hand-held devices.

That one-line patch doesn't actually fix any of the problems Felix
cited, nor is it really all that productive. There are probably 10 or
more apps that use fedora.css that would be negatively impacted by that
change, and I don't think he understands why that line is in there.

The point of cascading style sheets is that they *cascade.* We have one
main style sheet to share common branding elements and styling that many
different applications inherit from, then we have more specific
stylesheets for various cases, either specific to a particular
application or specific to a type of display or widget or framework in
use (e.g., 960.css is the base 960 grid system framework which we use
for our layout, http://960.gs.) Having a hierarchy of stylesheets like
this is how most professional sites arrange their CSS and is a standard
industry practice. It is also how CSS was meant to be used; it's
cascading style sheet*s* not cascading style sheet.

A good primer on how to work with CSS is Eric Meyer's O'Reilly CSS book.
It has an aqua green stripe and has a picture of salmon on the front. If
anybody wants to help contribute to Fedora's websites by helping us with
our CSS and needs to build some CSS skills, going through that book
would be an excellent start. If you can't afford the book, any CSS
tutorials on alistapart.com that were published in the past 4-5 years
are probably a good bet as well.

~m