google search on start.fedoraproject.org

Elad Alfassa elad at fedoraproject.org
Thu Feb 2 11:06:10 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 11:35 AM, Kévin Raymond <shaiton at fedoraproject.org>wrote:

> > It does have a privacy policy that is more stringent about the data that
> > duckduckgo keeps than the data that google keeps, though.  With no
> current
> > open source search engine, the Board decided that the website team could
> > decide for itself what search technology to use to implement start.fp.o
> > (which I see you are raising here, in the appropriate list :-)
> >

> Things that I've already started in april[1].
>
> @team, we spoke about redesigning start.fpo, don't know where we are.

I know where we are.
The current fp.o page is really cluttered, and it has no clear purpose, as
detailed in the wiki page.
If we want to drop the page, we need a permission from the board to do it,
but we were all to lazy to bring this up to the board.
If we want to use it as a what'snew page (similar to what Firefox does
after an update) that will explain what's new in the release, we would need
a design (it needs to be more attractive than a wiki page and well
designed), we need someone to update it every release, we need a permission
from the board, and we need to speak with the Firefox package maintainers
to make sure users will only see this page when they first open firefox
after a new installation of Fedora or an upgrade, and never again until
they upgrade to the next Fedora.

> But we could change the default search engine to duckduckgo, and add a
> discrete box like:
> "Don't like the default search engine? Join us and contribute to a new
> feature, called "Select the default search engine during the install
> process!"
>
> Like that we
> 1) break things
> 2) ask people that don't like this change to contribute
> 3) move forward
>

> [1]
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/websites/2011-April/018501.html
>

> --