google search on start.fedoraproject.org

Sijis Aviles sijis at fedoraproject.org
Thu Feb 2 18:04:07 UTC 2012

2012/2/2 Máirín Duffy <duffy at fedoraproject.org>

> On Thu, 2012-02-02 at 09:33 -0800, Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:
> > I totally understand redesigning, but not understanding the dropping
> > of the page - what would be a reasonable replacement?
>
> The rationale is that when people open up a web browser, they want to go
> to where they want to go, and that is very likely not
> start.fedoraproject.org.
>
> E.g., if I open a web browser, I'm going to view my web calendar, read
> planet Fedora, or look something up on wikipedia.
>
> So the alternative is a dashboard built into the browser (Firefox
> provides this via a plugin, I think the others do too) that shows your
> most frequently visited sites so you can easily click to access them,
> since that's what you really want to do.
>
> ~m

I agree with Mairin, the most folks would want to go to their own website
after the launch the browser.

The only way I could think of having start.fedoraproject.org being of any
use it to link the user to the corresponding Release Notes [1] (as an
example). This way the user would have a quick glance of what's new and
what has changed and they go on with their daily business. Another reason
for going to that page is the "CommonBugs" page which is important,
especially after an upgrade.

Unless we something like I mention above is done, my thought recently has
been to remove it or maybe just replace start.fp.o with  fedoraproject.org

Sijis

[1] - http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_16_Alpha_release_notes