Suggestion: Black out fedoraproject.org on the 18th to protest against SOPA and PROTECT-IP

Kévin Raymond shaiton at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jan 13 09:19:19 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 3:46 AM, Nicu Buculei <nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro> wrote:
> On 01/13/2012 10:33 AM, Elad wrote:
>>

>> SOPA and PROTECT-IP endanger the open web, which is something I'm sure
>> we don't want to happen.
>> Many websites will be blacked-out, presenting information on SOPA and
>> why it's wrong on January 18th, I suggest we join them.
>> Who's with me?
>

> This is a politic engagement of the project and is above the competency of
> the websites team. This is what I raised the question earlier with the
> Board:
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/advisory-board/2012-January/011116.html

I was about to answer the same.
We all feel really concerned about the Open Source, of course, but
could not interfer with politics.
If you have a personnal blog, that's were you should discuss about
personnal feelings/ideas.

In France we have something called HADOPI, a new an completly wrong
law that let the governement the possibility to cut your internet
connexion: they want to blacklist people… They only have the ipv4
adress to match your internet traffic with your real name, which is
completly crazy. They even want to do more: add a mandatory
governement spy in your Operating System (of course guys up there
don't undersand Linux things).

--
Kévin Raymond
(shaiton)