A clarification about Fedora-it.org

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed May 30 18:58:43 UTC 2012

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 09:14:24AM +0000, robyduck at fedoraonline.it wrote:
> Stefano Mainardi <stefano at twinbit.it> ha scritto:
>
> >In rif:
> >http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/websites/2012-May/019610.html
> >
> >Greetings all, I am Stefano Mainardi, one of the founders of ILDN (
> >http://ildn.net) Italian Linux Distro Network, the first Italian and
> >European network dedicated to the major GNU/Linux distributions (
> >http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/ILDN)
> >
> >After the birth of the network, in 2004, and the success we decided to give
> >life to a nonprofit association that has as main objective
> >the dissemination of Free Software in Italy through the portals to the
> >major Linux distributions and through development and popular
> >participation in events in which we are committed to promoting GNU / Linux
> >and Free Software.
> >The association was founded in February 2006, So let us encourage our users
> >to interact and collaborate with the development and
> >translation team of  linux distributions and open source projects, always
> >with a view to giving our main contribution to the growth
> >of Linux and Free Software.
> >
> >And it is this spirit that we have renewed our commitment with
> >Fedoraitalia, one of our network portals with which he lives, that
> >because of conflicts with one of its founders, then took another road and
> >decided to get out of our network, road which then led to the
> >closure.
> >
> >For about two years around the network ILDN has undergone a major restyling
> >both technical and graphical features of our portals,
> >and we re-started the promoting work of our association by actively
> >participating in various events related to the Free Software, we
> >were the media partners of PHP-Day 2012 and Codemotion 2012 and this year
> >we are in collaboration with the organization of the Conf-SL (
> >http://www.confsl.org). Events in which both seek to introduce Linux and
> >Free Software but also forge partnerships with other organizations and
> >community that have our same objectives and ideals.
> >
> >In the last years, mainly thanks to the collaboration of several Fedora
> >ambassador, we decided to create Fedora-it.org, a portal for us in the past
> >was certainly very important and we want it to be returned. Obviously we do
> >not want to be absolutely required a snub or a war to FOL, that after the
> >closing of Fedoraitalia is surely become an important reference point in
> >the Fedora italian community. But we wants to be just another place for
> >discussion and growth both for Fedora users in Italy and the Fedora Project.
> >
> >Having the "seal" certification by Fedora is important for us to see us
> >recognized a little recognition for the work we do every day, and for the
> >community.
> >
> >Thanks to all
> >--
> >[image: TWINBIT logo] <http://twinbit.it/>
> >
> >Stefano Mainardi
> >*Twinbit Founder
> >*
> [...]

Although the Fedora Project doesn't distribute certifications to
community sites, the Fedora name is a trademark that must be licensed
for use in domain names such as "fedora-it.org."

Stefano, you'll want to read the following wiki resources for more
information about licensing the Fedora trademarks for use on a
community web site:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal:Trademark_guidelines#Noncommercial_and_community_web_sites
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal:Trademark_guidelines#Domain_names
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Local_community_domains

This is all separate from the issue of whether the Italian Fedora
community finds value in more than one community website.  Regardless
of the answer to that question, a domain name such as fedora-it.org
requires a trademark license agreement.