start.fpo

Elad Alfassa elad at fedoraproject.org
Mon Oct 8 22:27:08 UTC 2012

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 11:38 PM, meine <trialero at gmx.com> wrote:

> reducing start.fpo to the essential minimum a novice user might appreciate
> I very much like
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/File:Start.fpo-mockup-elad.png

Thank you.

> + not only an extended search field, but very useful options to search the
> package database (Fedora, can I do the things I want to do with it? how is
> it called?) and wiki (backgrounds)

Well, this is the tricky part, I'm not sure if we can implement this
without using JavaScript or changing the way start.fpo is built to allow us
to do serverside magic. People disliked the idea of making this search bar
using JavaScript when I suggested it.

> + links to the user guide, ask.fedora and a place to join
> -/+ the announcements Fedora weekly are rather techish, but a new Fedora
> user can also be a techie

I don't think anyone maintains Fedora Weekly News anymore, anyway
announcements in the mockup just show the latest message from the
"announce" mailing list feed.

> the bears I don't know but they surely underline what is in the balloon
> above and they probably look beter than a rough drawn Tux.

Panadas are the unofficial Fedora mascot, that is to say, the web team and
the design team are very fond of pandas.

> novice users might have questions about what software to use. they simply
> don't know the names of open source alternatives. pointing to a website
> like www.osalt.com might help them converting.

A start page is not the place to handle such thing. If you are interested
in helping users to migrate from other OSs, I'd suggest creating a special
document for that in docs.fedoraproject.org, instead of cluttering the
start page.

> on the help-thing I'd suggest linking to ask fedora as well as to
> fedoraforum.org because this is an excellent place to get help and be
> treated with respect (in all 3 years with stupid questions I never got
> flamed). the only problem here is that fedoraforum.org is officially not
> affiliated with Fedora, but when no one has a problem with it...

We now link to ask.fedoraproject.org instead in our get-help page, no
reason we'd link somewhere else in the start page

> on the search engine on start.fpo I argumented some time ago to use
> DuckDuckGo instead because it doesn't track you and Google has some
> strangish policies regarding privacy and openness. not directly something
> Fedora stands for. on the other hand if Google lowers the threshold maybe
> we should skip politics...

This is actually a problem because duckduckgo is not fully opensource
either. I don't think we want to endorse *any* 3rd party proprietary
services in official Fedora pages

> for further background reading and exploring Linux i'd suggest links to
> fedoraproject.org (you can get a new/different version) and www.linux.combecause it has some good pages on software and support (
> http://www.linux.com/learn)
>
> Again, out of the scope of the start page.

> BFN
>
> --
> //meine

Thank you for writing this email, every piece of feedback is highly
appreciated.
--
-Elad Alfassa.