Start.fpo redesign - feedback required (mockup)

Elad Alfassa elad at fedoraproject.org
Sat Oct 13 09:38:01 UTC 2012

On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 4:46 AM, Matthew Miller <mattdm at fedoraproject.org>wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 02:31:30AM +0200, Elad Alfassa wrote:
> > I was trying to keep it simplistic and light.
>
> Yeah, and I appreciate that. But I wonder if we can do that while being a
> bit less monochromatic?
>
> > Anyway, implementation is in staging now:
> > http://start.stg.fedoraproject.org/
> > Further feedback appriciated.
>
> A concrete suggestion is to make the third column something other than
> "Useful links". Maybe break it up into two sections, "Get Help" and "Join
> Fedora"?
>
> Actually, now that I'm looking, aren't the main things there duplicates
> with
> the panda links below?
>
> Yes, indeed. I want to change that... Perhaps move the pandas, or only
keep one of them.

> I'm comparing the proposed page to the current start page, and with the
> exception of the pandas replacing the big-block-of-links-no-one-will-use at
> the bottom, I kinda feel like the original is more friendly and inviting.
> And really, I like http://fedoraproject.org/ better than both.
>
> While I'm not totally convinced we need a search field on the new page, the
> thing I like about it on the old one is that it tells you what to do, with
> a big, bold, visually clear indicator. The new page doesn't have anything
> that draws my attention in particular, and so my eyes wander around until
> they eventually land on the helpful pandas.
>
> The main Fedora page is rather busy, but the freedom/friends/features/first
> logos draw my attention down from the rotating banners, and I eventually
> settle on "Need help?" / "About Fedora" / "Join us" -- which I guess is
> kind
> of what the pandas say too, but they use more words.
>
> What if we took the section of http://fedoraproject.org/ with the "Need
> help" bar and "What makes Fedora great?" and made that be the start page,
> with nothing at all above it (and no sidebar on the right?). Replace
> "Fedora
> Highlights" with "Fedora News" and put the Planet + Announcements there.
> And
> then finish with the pandas.  See attached html for a rough idea.
>

> --
> Matthew Miller  ☁☁☁  Fedora Cloud Architect  ☁☁☁  <
> mattdm at fedoraproject.org>

One thing you forget is that people who see start.fedoraproject.org have
already installed Fedora, you don't need to convince them it is great. What
you do want is to present them with useful information and updates they
might need. And they will probably choose a different homepage, but
--
-Elad Alfassa.