Upgrading MediaWiki

Maria Miteva mariya.miteva at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 11:23:07 UTC 2013

Hi,

My name is Mariya and I am an intern with the Wikimedia Foundation. I am
currently working on reaching out to 3-rd party MediaWiki users to find out
more about your problems, what features you would like to see in the future
and how the community can make your work with MediaWiki easier and more
efficient.

I have noticed at https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Special:Version  that you
are using an old version of MediaWiki - 1.19.2 . I would live to invite you
to upgrade to the current version
1.20.2<http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Download>,
which offers many new features as well as security fixes, or at least
version 1.19.3 with the latest security fixes for 1.19.

I was wondering what is holding you back from upgrading to the current
version. It seems that many MediaWiki users prefer to keep an old version.
Please share your experience with upgrades at the appropriate thread at
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:MediaWiki_vendors. There are other
discussions on the page that you might want to join or if you have any
other issues, please feel free to start a discussion yourself.

Another good communication channel I strongly encourage you to join if you
have not done so already is the mediawiki-enterprise mailing list
<https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-enterprise>.
Please feel free to use that for questions, comments, resources related to
third-party use of MediaWiki. Also, I recommend the mediawiki-announce
mailing list<https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-announce>,
which is very low traffic and will only inform you of new version releases.

Also, please keep in mind that if you decide to upgrade or have other
problems, we are there to support you at #mediawiki on Freenode as well as
the mediawiki-I mailing
list<https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l>
.

Let me know if I can help somehow.