Providing machine readable list of licenses

Miro Hrončok mhroncok at redhat.com
Thu Jan 9 15:32:56 UTC 2014

Hi,
recently, I needed to check if the license short name used in Fedora
packages is in good license or not.

I've checked how rpmlint does that and what I saw horrified me.

There is a hardcoded list of good licenses in rpmlint (old and not
Fedora specific). Then there is a relatively up-to-date list of fedora
good licenses in /etc/rpmlint/config. The comment says it's copied form
the wiki at date XYZ.

Is there a possibility to have a machine readable list of good software
and content licenses somewhere in the package that can be Required by
rpmlint and possibly others, and more important: have it also on the web
(well up-to-dated), so if an app want's to query the latest list, it can
(without parsing the wiki)?

Thanks,
--
Miro Hrončok