Fedora Wiki Revision

Robert Mayr robyduck at fedoraproject.org
Thu Sep 3 07:41:04 UTC 2015

Hi Zacharias,
a few thoughts about this:

> After my workshop at Flock about the Fedora Wiki, we discussed many ways
> to improve and reorganize the wiki, and we sat down with Brian Exelbierd
> and Peter Travis to discuss it more thoroughly and discuss how the wiki
> should operate from now on and keep pages and content in general, organized.
>
> So let me sum up the things that we wrote on the pad, and feel free to
> visit it yourself here[1]:
>

>    -  Wiki consists many things, it's a big data dump, and the first
>    thing we have to do is to agree what it's for. For example, wiki carries
>    information about Fedora's subprojects, documentation, project mission
>    statements, release notes, budgets, meeting minutes, acting like a
>    scratchpad for ideas etc. So at first we need to reconsider what the wiki
>    stands for. We suggest that we should be more selective of what pages exist
>    in the wiki. For example, the docs team is already transfering content to
>    the Docs website, so eventually no documentation will exist on the wiki.
>    Release notes, and mission statements could be moved to the
>    getfedora.org website. Eventually it would be ideal to have the wiki
>    only for information about the subprojects (with links to join.fp.org),
>    working groups, and some more. We still have to figure out what to do with
>    all the pages that act like a "scratchpad", but that's another discussion.
>
> getfedora.org is not a website thought to add Release Notes or similar.
It's a brochure website for our main editions. People will get informations
about them and can download it. I see the docs team moved the Release Notes
to the docs.fp.o websites too, why do you want to change that again?
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/22/html/Release_Notes/

Same for join.fp.o, this page doesn't exist anymore on getfedora and we
actually redirect it to the wiki itself. I agree we need to make this page
nicer or do something more *new-contributor* friendly, but for now this is
what we have.

>    - Besides that, old content needs to be archived, categorized, or be
>    deleted. So we came up with a system, that will work with some additional
>    plugins that some people already said that they can write them, so we can
>    have the wiki constantly updated with pages that are categorized, and carry
>    updated content.
>

> In more detail:
>
>    - We are thinking of developing a plugin, that will test for minimum
>    desired page configuration in a non-blocking manner, and more
>    specifically it will check if the page has a category and if the page is
>    linked from another page within the wiki.
>    - Pages that have not passed the above 2 tests, will get a "This page
>       needs help" note at the top, with a note that if the page doesn't get a
>       category or is orphaned (not linked from another page within the wiki), it
>       will be archived eg after 3 months. If the page gets a category in the
>       meanwhile, the note will be removed
>       - Pages that contain this note for more than 1 year, eventually are
>       removed
>       - Apart from that, we can have cronjobs that make various checks
>    and tasks, like:
>    - Pages that have not been edited in eg 3 months and it does not have
>       a category and a link to it, gets archived.
>       - Pages that have not been edited in eg 1 year get a note that says
>       "This page has not been edited in a year, it may be out of date."
>       - Pages that have not been edited in eg 1.5 years get a note that
>       says "This page has not been edited in 1.5 years and is a candidate for
>       archiving"
>       - Pages that have not been edited in 2 years get archived
>       - Archived pages are not searched by wikisearch or external engines
>          by default
>          - Archived pages remain available to be accessed via links
>          - Archived pages have an "archived" header
>          - Archived pages that have no category and no links to them are
>          candidates for manual deletion by wiki-admins
>          - We can also have a category/tag that will prevent a page from
>       being archived automatically
>       - Pages to this category/tag can be added manually
>          - Excepted pages are considered "owned" by their last editor.
>          - Excepted pages that do not have an active FAS account owner
>          are removed from the exception list and made subject to the archive policy
>          (with a minimum of one year notice).
>          - All users are notified of exception pages they own once per
>          year.
>          - Excepted pages are subject to review by wiki-admins.
>
> I know that people have already offered their help to develop the
> necessary plugins and cronjobs in order for something like this to run. Are
> there any concerns or any additional comments about this? If so I'd like to
> invite you all and have a discussion, and then move on in to doing this!

> [...]
Thank you for this update.
See you soon.

--
Robert Mayr