[Fedora Women] question about /proc/kcore

Astarta astarta at rat.ru
Sat Aug 2 20:54:19 UTC 2008

Jamie Levy wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I know this list has been rather quiet for a while...  so I might as
> well ask a question :-)

Hello,

I really thought that this list is completely dead :-)

> This does not seem to be the case, however, when I do a listing in
> /proc/kcore on my machine (F8) which has 2 GB of memory:
>
> ls -lh /proc/kcore
> -r-------- 1 root root 897M 2008-08-01 19:05 /proc/kcore
>
> I have confirmed the same type of results on other machines to which I
> have access.  I also do not seem to have the kcore.h file on my system
> (and I have kernel-devel installed), since it is a zero byte file:
>
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2008-07-21 02:05
> /usr/src/kernels/2.6.25.11-60.fc8-i686/include/config/proc/kcore.h

As far as I know, the size of kcore is equal not to the size of _all_
physical memory installed on the machine, but just to the amount of
memory accessible by kernel.
Your kernel seems to be compiled with HIGHMEM support, and if you do `ls
-l /proc/kcore` you see your LOWMEM size, the real memory that the
kernel uses. That the reason why the difference you mentioned comes.

Someone will correct me, if I'm wrong :)

> All the best,
>
> -Jamie Levy

with best regards,
Fadeeva Marina.