[Fedora-xen] heeeeeeeelp on XEN

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Fri Jul 7 20:18:18 UTC 2006

Gary Siao wrote:
> hi gurus
>
> i'm a newbie to xen and like some guidance...
>
> i have an existing machine that has FC5 and i just installed
> XEN3.0.2.2.. was able to boot the machine using XEN... i know the next
> step is to create a guest domain but my problem is how do i create an
> image of the existing FC5 since it has some data already (would be
> nice if you can give me the actual command).. also once i created an
> image of the existing FC5, where do i dump th image file and have xen
> boot from it...
>
> thanks
> Gary

AFAIK, there is no good way to clone an existing host system and make a
matching domU (guest OS) from it automagically.   What you can do is
provision a new domU (see /usr/sbin/xenguest-install.py --help) and then
rsync the relevant data between the dom0 (your host FC5 system) and the
domU, and then possibly remove the duplicate data from the dom0.
Chances are you only care about data in /home anyway...

--Michael