[Fedora-xen] Are 64bit Intel Core 2 Quad fedora 8 supported?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Jan 2 15:39:55 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 04:34:52PM +0100, George Refseth wrote:
> It seems I got little attention with my original post.
> The f8 64bit image hangs when starting X. Prior to that
> the visual 'wait' circle keeps running around irregularily
> at a lot than normal speed.
>
> I observed the same on multi core AMD running RHEL 4, which
> was cured with RHEL 5. So no I am happy on that multi-core
> workstation.
>
> But this new server I was trying to set up had definite problems
> with the -21 xen kernel. It runs flawlessly with the f8 release
> kernel (-23).
>
> For testing, where should I pull down a newer xen-kernel that would
> run with a full 64 bit f8 install? I would be happy to be a guinea pig
> (as long as I can revert) using this system if I could be pointed to
> repositories and forum where I could contribute..

I'm afraid the 2.6.21  series of kernel-xen will be the newest
we release for F-8 and earlier - its in bugfix only mode[1]. If there
is an easy bugfix we can do for 2.6.21 to make it work that's a
possiblity but we won't be doing .22 or .23 kernel-xen. I'd recommend
filing a BZ ticket with as many details of the problem you are seeing
as possible:

  http://bugzilla.redhat.com/

Regards,
Dan.

[1] This is because in Fedora-9 we are radically changing the way we
    approach Xen kernels
    http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/XenPvops