[Fedora-xen] Fedora 8 DomU (i386) does not work on Fedora 8 (x86_64) host

Felix Schwarz felix.schwarz at web.de
Wed Jan 2 20:35:53 UTC 2008

Daniel P. Berrange schrieb:
> Running  paravirt  i386  domU on a x86_64 Dom0 is known to be rather
> unreliable. The message you describe about install hanging during the
> formatting stage is definitely a symptom of running i386 domU on a
> x86-64 dom0.  You ought to be able to mix- archs if you do HVM instead
> though, so I'm rather surprised if you see the same problems with HVM
> guests.

Yeah, I tried pv i386 just out of curiosity so I checked HVM/qemu quickly
thereafter. I can even reproduce the problem (rebooted multiple times etc.).

My setup is quite boring: The DomUs use normal files as "disks" below
/var/lib/xen/images with preallocated space (4 GB), they get 500 MB RAM for
the initial install, packages are pulled from a HTTP repository server in
my local network (shared eth0 bridging, using DHCP/ipv4 only). This setup
worked/works for every Fedora version since Core 5 so I'm quite puzzled how
to get further debug information...

fs