[Fedora-xen] network speed on hvm guests

Dustin Henning Dustin.Henning at prd-inc.com
Fri Jan 4 16:57:09 UTC 2008

	I was reading an article about Windows PE 2.0 in virtual
environments, and apparently Windows PE 2.0 is based on Vista, which doesn't
have a driver for the default NIC used by VMWare.  The suggested solution is
to use a different virtual NIC (a gigabit one).  Obviously Xen isn't VMWare,
and on top of that, I am not trying to run Windows PE 2.0, or even Vista.
However, I had long wondered but never asked this question:
	Does Xen have any virtual NICs other than the two mentioned in the
hvm example files in /etc/xen?  More importantly, does it matter, for
instance, will Xen or Windows limit the response time or throughput to
100MB/s levels in an hvm environment if a 100MB/s virtual NIC is used?  I
don't see why it would, but then again, I don't see why SATAII hard drives
running on controllers in IDE mode are slowed to IDE speeds, so I wouldn't
be surprised if it did, and I am hoping someone can tell me.  Thanks,
	Dustin