[Fedora-xen] Are 64bit Intel Core 2 Quad fedora 8 supported?

George Refseth george.refseth at arxi.no
Tue Jan 8 12:45:34 UTC 2008

On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 18:52:31 +0100, Evan Lavelle <sa212+fcxen at cyconix.com>
wrote:

> George Refseth wrote:
>> The 64 bit xen host kernel are unstable (timer/scheduling issue?)
>>  So I wonder if this is supported or not. Another Fedora 8 x86_64
>> installation on
>> an Intel Core 2 Duo seems to run flawlessly, except it is running on a
>> laptop,
>> and not meant for server use.
>
> FWIW: I'm running F8 64-bit 2.6.21-2952, for both Dom0 and one DomU, on
> 6600/Core 2 Duo, without problems. The DomU is HVM; it was originally PV
> but I gave up on that for complex reasons. Various other (non-Fedora)
> HVM domU's also work without problems.
>
> Maybe it's just an issue with quad core.

Seems to be, or the motherboard and BIOS state at time of boot, except that
I expected the OS to take over not expect any state of the BIOS. I also
have
no problem running a a new ASUS C90S Laptop with Core 2 Duo, both i386 and
x86,
  both xen variant (.21-) and non-xen the released and the updated kernels
(.23.1-42
& 23.9-85). I will continue experimenting on the laptop to prepare for
virt. on
the server when it can support mother-board and cpu.

> Can you turn off two cores in the BIOS?

Not that I can figure out, the BIOS seems to expect the OS to take charge.

George