[Fedora-xen] error: failed to connect to the hypervisor

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Jan 9 20:18:56 UTC 2008

In my earlier missive I neglected to mention F8.

The following command is straight from the manual:
[root at potoroo summer]# virsh connect qemu:///system
error: failed to connect to the hypervisor

[root at potoroo summer]# man virsh

It seems it should be more like this:

[root at potoroo summer]# virsh connect qemu://system
error: failed to connect to the hypervisor
libvir: Remote error : Cannot access CA certificate
'/etc/pki/CA/cacert.pem': No such file or directory (2)
error: Failed to connect to the hypervisor

[root at potoroo summer]#

except that doesn't work either. I couldn't find anything in the man
pages about it, either how to specify a cert to use, or how to create
one and tell everything that needs to know.

I ran the command under strace, and was not enlightened, but further
confused with this:
[root at potoroo summer]# grep open /tmp/trace | grep proc
13066 open("/proc/xen/privcmd", O_RDWR) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or
directory)
13066 open("/proc/xen/privcmd", O_RDWR) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or
directory)
[root at potoroo summer]#

The connect command was one I used trying to diagnose why I could't find
the VM to attach a disk to.

I am even more confused to find that virt-manager can attach a drive,
though not while the system's running. I don't understand why
virt-manager can connect when virsh cannot.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait