[Fedora-xen] xen-tools and debian on Fedora

Frederick N. Brier fbrier at multideck.com
Sun Jan 13 08:57:11 UTC 2008

I am trying to create a DomU Debian guest VM.  I tried a Debian-Etch
DomU from jailtime.org.  Lots of my own issues, discovering other people
having the same exact problems, but no solutions.  So I installed
debootstrap and xen-tools and tried that.  Again like many other people
I ran into the "VFS: Cannot open root device "hda1" or
unknown-block(0,0)" issue.  I have not figured out why the cfg file is
not being generated in /etc/xen, but I have gotten it to generate images
using the file image and LVM (creating the Logical Volumes).  I just
hand coded the cfg file.  After they were generated, I mounted both
images and noticed that neither had hda1 or hda2 device files in /dev.
That would seem to be a problem.  Please help!  A link to tutorial or
answer would be fabulous.  The only thing I have not tried yet is using
pygrub and bundling the kernel and .img files with the guest and not
using the fc8xen kernel and images in the Dom0's boot folder.  Thank you
for any help.

Fred