[Fedora-xen] virt* source

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Jan 17 00:50:21 UTC 2008

Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> John Summerfield wrote:

Thanks Rich

>> I am unfamiliar with the tools I need to put that statement to the
>> test. INSTALL says to run ./configure, but there is no ./configure to
>> run.
>>
>> The website does say how to get the source with hg, and how to submit
>> changes, but I can't see how to go from the checkout to building and
>> installing.
>
> I'm not sure which INSTALL file you're reading, but once you've got the
> source for virtinst--devel from hg you need to use the standard python
> way to build it.  Try:

The one checked out in the source tree, one of thse:
virt-manager--devel/INSTALL
virt-viewer--devel/INSTALL

>   python setup.py --help

That seems likely to work for one of the four. I've checked out
virt-manager-web--devel but not yet looked at it.

> If this is Fedora, another, better route to go down is to build it from
> the .src.rpm using rpmbuild.  Try the first suggestion on this page:
>
>   http://fedoranews.org/tchung/rpmbuild/

I do not want to replace the standard F8 software, but I do want to be
able to build and run the latest from the Hg repo.

You snipped my actual question and its rationale:
<<Z
Where is the documentation?

I do want to use alternative binaries (but then again I don't), but I do
not wish to replace any standard part of F8.

That precludes the use of rpmbuild (unless the rpm is relocatable).

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait