[Fedora-xen] How to backup a Domu filesystem (on LVM) from Dom0 on Fedora 8 ?

Aaron Clark aclark at digitalfairway.com
Mon Jan 21 22:19:58 UTC 2008

Anne Facq wrote:
> Hello
>
> I use XEN on Fedora 8 with Domu on a LVM partition.
>
> Before, on Fedora Core 6, I could backup each Domu by directly mounting
> the filesystem of the Domu (mount /dev/vg00/lvfoo /mnt) and then running
> dump on it.
>
> On Fedora 8, I can't mount directly the filesystem of the Domu, so I

Pardon if this is a dumb question, but why not?

> backup the filesystem of the Domu using the dd command (dd
> if=/dev/vg00/lvfoo of=/var/xen/lvfoo.img)
> But the backup with dd is longer and takes more disk space than the
> backup with dump, as dd copies unused blocks.
>
> Is there a better method to backup a Domu filesystem from Dom0 on Fedora
> 8 ?

I suppose you could use the img2qcow tool (possibly directly on
/dev/vg00/lvfoo) to get a qcow file instead of a raw image.  However, I
vaguely remember seeing somewhere that the qcow created by the xen tools
is not necessarily 100% compatible with other qcow tools.

HTH,
Aaron