[Fedora-xen] Upgrade to development xen on F8?

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue Jan 22 00:22:15 UTC 2008

I'm a bit torn between asking here and asking on the Fedora test list.

I'd like to use the latest xen (that's what I'm testing), but I don't want to
upgrade to the entire development tree.

I tried this, and was astonished at the number of packages to upgrade!
[root at potoroo ~]# yum install --disablerepo=* --enable=development kernel-xen
kernel-xen-2.6-doc xen xen-hypervisor xen-libs xenwatch | wc -l
Error: Missing Dependency: kdemultimedia3 >= 3.5.8 is needed by package
kdemultimedia-extras-nonfree
845
[root at potoroo ~]#

Those 845 lines represent upgrading pretty much all of KDE and all of Gnome.

The package "xen" alone accounts for much of this:
[root at potoroo ~]# yum install --disablerepo=* --enable=development xen | wc -l
Error: Missing Dependency: kdemultimedia3 >= 3.5.8 is needed by package
kdemultimedia-extras-nonfree
844
[root at potoroo ~]#

My idea of an ideal host for virtual machines is one that runs guests and
precious little else, and certainly not a GUI and all the baggage that
entails.

Do these *xen* packages build on f8? What's the easy way to get the source - I
used to use up2date, but I fear the technolgogy's getting ahead of me.

--
John the Bewildered.