[Fedora-xen] kernel-xen, qemu, kvm etc summary and speed of virtual machines in F8

Phil Rhoades phil at pricom.com.au
Tue Jan 22 05:12:38 UTC 2008

People,

Is there available a plain summary of how all the different bits of
virtualisation fit together?  The stuff I have found so far is more
confusing than anything . .

I have been toying around with virtual machines on FC6, F7 and now F8
but there seems to have been a big slow-down in performance with F8?

This speed issue is why I have been trying to get a better understanding
of how all the bits fit together, see where the bottlenecks are and what
I can do to improve performance so that I might use the virtual machines
for real work.

I have installed:

kernel-xen-2.6.21-2952.fc8
xen-libs-3.1.2-1.fc8
xen-3.1.2-1.fc8
qemu-0.9.0-5.fc8
kvm-36-7.fc8

Thanks,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades

Pricom Pty Limited  (ACN 003 252 275  ABN 91 003 252 275)
GPO Box 3411
Sydney NSW      2001
Australia
Fax:     +61:(0)2-8221-9599