[Fedora-xen] management of this list

Evan Lavelle sa212+fcxen at cyconix.com
Tue Jan 29 09:42:37 UTC 2008

This eventually comes up on most of the mailing lists I'm on (lots of
them). I was as surprised as you were on finding out that some lists
were set to reply to sender. Some people like it that way; your only
choice is to live with it. Always 'reply all', edit the fields, delete
duplicates, find something else to worry about. I'm not aware that I've
ever missed a duplicate, though; I don't understand that issue.

John Summerfield wrote:

> I for one would be happy if my email address never went to email lists;
> the fact it does is the reason I need to apply antispam to this domain.

All the spam I've got over the last few years (a lot) has come from
address harvesting of mailman lists. There's only one answer, which is
never to use an important mail address on a mailing list. I use a free
(exim plussed) address. You get a base name, and can put whatever you
want on the end of it, with a '+' in between. You create a new address
for each list, and throw away the address if you get spam on it. The
only hassle is that Thunderbird makes it difficult to edit the sender
address in an outgoing mail, so you need to set up a new identity for
each list. Thunderbird also has problems selecting the correct identity
when replying to a list message, so you frequently have to manually
select the correct 'from' address from all your identities.

- Evan