[Fedora-xen] Unable to install domU on Fedora 8

Marcel Damásio marceldamasio at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 21:12:47 UTC 2008

Hi Pete,

I had the same error.
Some mirrors couldn't be donwloaded from.
I had success with the mirror that is in the virt-install man's page, but
it's not good.

Then I'd made the download of the whole mirror and done it in localhost, and
it worked.

If you have success doing this, post here please. I wanna know too.

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 4:12 PM, Pete Kay <petedao at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> When trying to install Cent domU on fedora 8 dom0, I am getting the
> following error.  I have tried both graphics support Yes and No
>
> [root at bogon pete]# virt-install
> What is the name of your virtual machine? serverA
>  How much RAM should be allocated (in megabytes)? 256
>  What would you like to use as the disk (file path)? /dev/serverA
>  Would you like to enable graphics support? (yes or no) no
>  What is the install location?
> http://mirror.centos.org/centos-5/5/os/x86_64/
>

> Starting install...
> libvir: Xen Daemon error : GET operation failed:
> Retrieving file CentOS...                                       590 kB
> 00:26
> Retrieving file vmlinuz.. 100% |=========================| 1.8 MB
> 01:10
> Retrieving file initrd.im 100% |=========================| 5.2 MB
> 03:17
> libvir: Xen Daemon error : GET operation failed:
> libvir: Xen Daemon error : POST operation failed: (xend.err 'Device 51712
> (vbd) could not be connected. losetup /dev/loop0 /dev/serverA failed')
> virDomainCreateLinux() failed POST operation failed: (xend.err 'Device
> 51712 (vbd) could not be connected. losetup /dev/loop0 /dev/serverA failed')
> Domain installation may not have been
>  successful.  If it was, you can restart your domain
>  by running 'virsh start serverA'; otherwise, please
>  restart your installation.
> Thu, 05 Jun 2008 03:09:50 ERROR    virDomainCreateLinux() failed POST
> operation failed: (xend.err 'Device 51712 (vbd) could not be connected.
> losetup /dev/loop0 /dev/serverA failed')
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/bin/virt-install", line 502, in <module>
>     main()
>   File "/usr/bin/virt-install", line 462, in main
>     dom = guest.start_install(conscb,progresscb)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/virtinst/Guest.py", line 813, in
> start_install
>     return self._do_install(consolecb, meter)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/virtinst/Guest.py", line 834, in
> _do_install
>     self.domain = self.conn.createLinux(install_xml, 0)
>   File "/usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 573, in
> createLinux
>     if ret is None:raise libvirtError('virDomainCreateLinux() failed',
> conn=self)
> libvirtError: virDomainCreateLinux() failed POST operation failed:
> (xend.err 'Device 51712 (vbd) could not be connected. losetup /dev/loop0
> /dev/serverA failed')
> [root at bogon pete]#
>

> I would appreciate any help on getting xen to work.
>
> Thanks,
> Pete
>
> --

Marcel Damásio Moreira
9º período de Ciência da Computação - UFES
(27) 8128-7105
Estagiário do Suporte - DI/UFES