[Fedora-xen] Xenner: How to manage domains with virsh?

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri Jun 20 21:30:42 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 02:46:57PM +0200, Felix Schwarz wrote:
> I got xenner to run on Fedora 9. And so far it seems that it is able to
> run at least some of my paravirtualized guests which I created on
> Xen/Fedora 8.
>
> Now the problem is how I can manage these domains using virsh? I can
> start a Xenner domain using "xenner (and bunch of options)". Everything
> seems to be fine.
>
> But "virsh list" does not show any active domains. So how can add the
> configuration to virsh so that I can do something like "virsh start
> mydomain"?
> Is this possible at all in the current Xenner (using Fedora 9 with all
> released updates but nothing from updates-testing)?

I'm not exactly sure if support for Xenner has actually gone
into libvirt yet.  I know Dan is working on a patch.

At the moment libvirtd only tries to manage qemu/kvm/xenner
processes which are started up by it.  The reason is that the
daemon keeps a pipe open to the qemu monitor so it can issue
commands.  If you start a guest up by hand, then libvirtd
doesn't know about it and doesn't have access to the monitor.

We did discuss a way to work around this, but it's not in
libvirtd at this time.

Rich.