[Fedora-xen] Re: [fedora-virt] Success with Fedora 10 Xen pv_ops 2.6.29-rc8 dom0

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Mar 24 19:28:46 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 09:25:02PM +0200, Pasi K?rkk?inen wrote:
> Hello!
> I've used a lot of time trying to get my custom Xen pv_ops dom0 kernel working with
> virt-install and/or virt-manager on Fedora 10, and now it seems I got things
> working.
> If you want to play with this you need:
> 1) New enough pv_ops dom0 kernel (2.6.29-rc8 or newer) so it has /sys/hypervisor support included
> 	- Compile with CONFIG_HIGHPTE=n since it seems to be broken still
> 2) libvirt 0.6.1 and related packages from Fedora 10 updates-testing
> In addition to those I'm using Xen 3.3.1-9 packages from rawhide/F11 rebuilt for F10.
> With the older Fedora 10 libvirt packages libvirtd was crashing often for me, and
> I had some other issues with virt-install console window not opening but stalling etc..
> Today I was able to run the following on Fedora 10 32bit PAE pv_ops dom0:
> - CentOS 5.3 32bit PAE PV domU
> - Fedora 10 32bit PAE PV domU
> - Use virt-install to install Fedora 10 32bit PAE PV domU (using custom kickstart
> to force PAE kernel installation to avoid the anaconda BUG which installs
> wrong non-PAE kernel as a default).
> Fedora 11 (rawhide) installation most probably works too.

FYI, I've just testing i686 and x86_64  Fedora 11 guest installs on a
RHEL5 Xen host and they both work flawlessly out of the box - including
a  sane mouse pointer running in absolute, so no dual-cursor problems,
and installing correect PAE kernels

> Issues:
> - virt-manager complains about default network (virbr0) being inactive and
> asks if I want to start it. If I click Yes, then I get error: "libvirtError: cannot create bridge 'virbr0': File exists"

Possibly due to old 0.5.x libvirtd having crashed & left the network running.
Since you've now upgraded to 0.6.1 libvirt, it is capable of noticing that
the network is already runniing upon startup. So future crashes will recover