[Fedora-xen] execute commands from dom0 into domU

Pasi Kärkkäinen pasik at iki.fi
Sat Mar 13 12:29:13 UTC 2010

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 01:05:53PM -0500, Steve Brueckner wrote:

> > in the domU
> > executes

> > > What about the xen console?  I haven't used Xen in about a year, so
> > > maybe it's gone?  We used to use the console to execute commands
> > > inside domU from dom0 without using the network.
> >
> > Xen console still exists but I think it only works for
> > paravirt domUs because it relies on the xenconsole backend.
>
> We were able to connect to HVMs as well using xen console.  To do so we
> had to set up the domU to listen for terminals on it's serial port.

Yes, both Xen PV and HVM guests have two types of consoles:

- text-only serial console
- graphical console

Virt-manager supports both of these types of consoles.

Xen "xm console <guest>" opens the text console.

virt-manager, virt-viewer or normal vnc viewer can be used
to view the graphical console.

-- Pasi